Decorating a small living room is a little bit challenge. Because you need to decorate it in a good way to make it look open and spacious as well as to be multifunctional and have enough sitting for all members of your family. But the good news is that you can accomplish this with some design tricks. In this article we share some ways you can do for decorating your living room and make it look more spacious.
1. As we know, the lighter shades make a room appear more spacious so you need to paint your living room walls with light colors. Light colors don’t necessarily mean that you have to use off-white or cream on you walls. Cool tone colors such as greens, blues, soft shades of yellow and grays are good options you can go for. Gray is considered as neutral color which will look great for any color scheme in your living room. For your ceiling, you should paint it with lighter color so that it will look higher and airier.
2. Vertical stripes can also be a good option to make your room look larger. Painting narrow, vertical stripes on your living room walls will create an illusion that the room is loftier. This idea is ideal for rooms with low ceilings. For the stripes, choose colors that are coordinating.
3. For the living room seating, it is nice to place two couches facing each other along with the coffee table. Alternatively, you can choose armless chairs or couches as it can make your room more spacious and open.
4. An amazing trick to open up the room is to add a beautiful mirror. Place the mirror on the wall opposite a window to reflect the light from the window making your living room look twice as big.
5. When it comes to the floor, try not to use carpet because carpet flooring in small rooms gives a cramped feeling. Laminate wood flooring is a much better choice; it can fool the eye, and give a lighter and larger appearance to your small living room. Tiles can also make the room look bigger than it actually is, by adding horizontal lines to the floor and accordingly highlighting its width.
6. Hang curtains which are able to stretch to the floor. In order to create a higher room space, you can hang the curtains about four or six inches higher than your window. It will work best for your small living room.